Permitted development provides homeowners the right to undertake certain projects without the requirement for planning permission. Permitted developments can increase property value and improve the facilities available on your property. By investing in a Huub, you can increase your property value and generate renewable green energy.


What is a Huub?

Huub is a Dorset based British company that constructs hand-made solar powered garden buildings. Huubs are built in an off-site facility in Dorset and offer a great opportunity to generate solar energy and add additional space to your home at a relatively low cost (approximately £1500 per m2).

2020 has been a crazy year. The pandemic has dramatically increased stay-at-home working which has left the British workforce trying to find a quiet space to get our jobs done.

Huub offers a clever solution for the home-based workforce, providing the opportunity to work in peace whilst reducing your energy bills and carbon footprint.


But Do I Need Planning?

Huubs typically do not require planning permission but it depends where you will site the Huub and its distance from the boundary  

Outbuildings (Huubs) are considered as permitted developments. This means that there is no need to acquire permission to build on the land. 

Although, there are several conditions to this and it depends on the distance of your building to your boundary.

Within 1m: The height must not be over 2.5m

Huub Permitted Development Regulations

If you are more than 2m form the boundary on all sides: The maximum height is 3m but the eaves height must be no more than 2.5m.

Huub Permitted Development Regulations

If you are installing an Apex roof and you are over 2m from the boundary the maximum height of the ridge is 4m but the eaves must be 2.5m

Huub Permitted Development Regulations

Special Consideration:

You will be required to apply for permission if you live in:

  • A Listed Building
  • An Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
  • A National Park
  • A World Heritage Site
  • A Site of Special Scientific Interest 


If you have any concerns regarding your development rights, contact your Local Planning Authority (LPA).  You can also apply for a ‘Lawful Development Certificate’ as proof that your Huub is permitted.


How To Apply For Planning Permission:

To apply for planning permission you need to contact your LPA. 

You will be required to provide the LPA with all the appropriate documentation and information (there may be a fee involved with this application).

Applications are typically responded to within 8 weeks. During this time, the LPA considers factors such as:

  • Development Use
  • Surrounding Area
  • Development Size
  • Aesthetics of the Development


If your application is refused you can:

  • Appeal the results
  • Adjust your plans



If you would like more information about developing your own outbuilding, give Huub a call on 01305 250429.

Or email us at:





× How can I help you?